Are you looking for the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix? With more than 100 options, it can be tough to select just the right one. To make it easier for you, we've created a few lists to help you quickly decide.
You will find our favorites for breakfast and brunch. You will also find our go to spots for lunch and dinner.
We've also included our favorite coffee shops, where we like to grab pizza, and our top picks for tacos.
What are the best restaurant in downtown Phoenix for breakfast or brunch? You will find several great places, but these five are our go to options.
1. Matt's Big Breakfast (825 N. 1st Street): Our absolute favorite breakfast and brunch spot in downtown Phoenix is Matt's Big Breakfast. They serve up the basics with a twist including some of the best waffles in town. I love The Hog & Chick (two eggs with thick cut bacon), their waffle, and The Skinny (egg whites with gruyere cheese). They serve breakfast all day and there is usually a wait on the weekends. Come first thing to avoid the crowds. They are open daily from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
2. Breakfast Club in CityScape (2 E. Jefferson Street): The Breakfast Club is another one of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix for breakfast. They are located in CityScape and feature a large breakfast menu. Here you can get everything from a large plate with three eggs and your choice of meat to something lighter such as a fruit bowl or some Greek yogurt. I love their Huevos Rancheros, their traditional Benedict, and the chicken fried chicken. They are open daily from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.
3. Snooze Circles Records (800 N. Central Avenue): Even though it may sound like a record shop, this funky breakfast joint will hit the spot. Here you will find everything from pancakes to benedicts to classic egg dishes. My favorites are the Habanero Pork Belly Benny, the Funky Monkey French Toast, and the Corn Beef Hash. They open from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. during the week and from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on the weekends.
4. The Vig Fillmore (606 N. 4th Avenue): This spot is open for brunch on the weekends and is a local favorite. They serve brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. My favorite on their menu include the steak and eggs. I also like their Pozole and the Chilaquiles. If you prefer something sweet for brunch, don't miss their pumpkin soufflé pancakes or their cinnamon skillet. The menu does change at times, but you are guaranteed to find something you will love. The Vig is also open for lunch and dinner seven days a week.
5. SpoonZ Cafe (2 S. 2nd Street): If you are looking for a quick sandwich or a pasty to go, then head over to SpoonZ Cafe. For breakfast in downtown Phoenix, they offer fresh bagels, a bagel sandwich (my favorite), and also homemade country quiche. You can also pick up a muffin, scone, or one of their fresh baked cookies or cupcakes. They are open Monday - Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
1. Monroe's Hot Chicken (45 W. Jefferson Street): This place is the BOMB! Seriously, this should be on everyone's list of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix. Their menu is simple, but their food is amazing. Their fried chicken sandwich is their most popular item, and you can choose the heat level you want with it. You can start with "Southern" which has no heat all the way up to "What Da Chuck!" which they describe as being so hot that you must "Call the Fire Department!" It's so much heat for the What Da Chuck that you have to sign a waiver before you purchase! I usually stick with their medium or hot. Either way, their chicken is outstanding with some tasty southern sides too. They are open daily from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
2. The Arrogant Butcher (2 E Jefferson Street, Suite 150): Another one of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix for lunch is The Arrogant Butcher. At lunch, I usually stick to the salad and sandwich portion of their menu which offers a tasty Prime Rib French Dip, a Ranch House Chopped Salad, and their AB Cheeseburger. I love them all! You can also order one of their larger entrees with options such as Fish & Chips, Meatloaf, New York Strip, or Filet Mignon. In addition to heading here for lunch, it's one of my top spots for dinner in downtown Phoenix too! They are open daily from 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
3. Sticklers (30 N. 3rd Avenue): This is a great spot for both breakfast and lunch. It's a sandwich shop that appeals to those that work downtown, so service is quick, and the food is delicious. They are open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
4. The Kettle Black Kitchen & Pub (1 N. 1st Street): Another one of our favorite lunch spots in downtown Phoenix is The Kettle Black Kitchen & Pub. This gastropub offers up standard English fare and several traditional American dishes. Their corned beef is slow roasted and is the best around town. I love their corned beef and cabbage dish, the steak frites, and the pork belly mac and cheese. If you are looking for a sandwich, their Reuben is beyond amazing. They are open daily from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. They stay open later on the weekends.
5. Harumi Sushi & Sake (114 W. Adams Street, Suite C101): The absolute best place to grab some sushi in downtown Phoenix is at Harumi Sushi & Saki. This place is my top sushi pick for both lunch and dinner. The service is great and, the food is even better! They offer sashimi, nigiri, and some specialty rolls. My favorites are their H3, Havana, and the Rainbow rolls. They also have some classic rolls as well as a few vegan options.
In addition to The Arrogant Butcher and The Kettle Black Kitchen & Pub (which I listed above in the lunch section), here are five additional spots we love to check out for dinner in downtown Phoenix.
1. Taco Chelo (501 E. Roosevelt Street): We love this restaurant because it is a truly authentic experience for those looking for Mexican and Sonoran style food. With a both indoor and outdoor areas, which is perfect for our wonderful evenings. This is the perfect stop when we are going mural hunting since it is situated right in the heart of the Roosevelt Row District.
2. Compass Arizona Grill (122 N. 2nd Street): I love this place for its unique atmosphere. The restaurant is set on the 24th floor of the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, but it isn't your typical hotel restaurant. This one rotates as you eat, so you end up with 360 degree views of downtown. It's also a great place to catch a sunset or enjoy a special night out on the town.
3. Pizzeria Bianco (623 E. Adams Street): This is another one of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix for dinner. It's a local favorite and offers tasty wood-fired pizzas. It's setting in Heritage Square is lovely too. I just love everything about this place!
4. Hanny's (40 N. 1st Street): You will want to check out this local favorite on your trip here. Their food is incredible, the drinks are delicious and innovative, and there are very cool art installations in the restaurant unlike anywhere else. The building is famous for its classic design and architecture.
5. Mancuso's Restaurant (201 E. Washington Street, Suite 201): Family owned and run for over 40 years, this restaurant you will make you feel like you are in Italy. With great salads, steak, pasta, and more, you will be so happy you came here. If you are a wine lover, they have an extensive list from all around the world. This is one of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix for lovers of Italian food.
1. Cartel Coffee Lab (1 North 1st Street): One of our favorite coffee shops in downtown Phoenix is Cartel. They offer some of the tastiest coffee around as well as an invigorating downtown atmosphere.
2. Serafina Coffee Roasters (45 W. Jefferson Street): Another cool spot is Serafina Coffee Roasters. This local, artisan coffee shop only uses beans from fair trade farmers. Not only is their coffee amazing, their shop is set inside a funky, old building. While you are here, don't miss your chance to pick up some of their tasty baked goods as well.
3. Songbird Coffee & Tea House (812 N. 3rd Street): I love Songbird for their location and their coffee. They sit along Roosevelt Row inside a historic house built in 1904. When you grab a cup of their coffee (or tea), you can sit down and feel like you are in your home away from home. They also feature works from local artists as well as events with local poets, musicians, writers, and more.
4. Blue House Coffee Goods (435 N. 5th Street): Blue House Coffee is another favorite with the locals. Their coffee is hand roasted and brings out the best flavors in each variety. Their only location is in downtown Phoenix, but they also sell their coffee at weekly Farmer's Markets.
5. Tres Leches Cafe (1714 W. Van Buren Street): This coffee shop is unlike any other on this list. They are a Mexican Coffee shop and all of their drinks include Mexican flavors. Many of them are sweet. Some of my favorites include their Café Miklo Latte (with white chocolate, espresso, and crema) and the Tres Mexicanos (with their special chocolate, espresso, and crema). If you love hot chocolate, this is the absolute best place to get it in downtown Phoenix.
1. Pizzeria Bianco (623 E. Adams Street): I also listed this on my favorite places for dinner but wanted to make sure it isn't missed as one of the best pizza spots in downtown Phoenix. They serve up the best wood fired pizza inside their historic spot in Heritage Square. There is usually a wait, but it's worth it!
2. Pomo Pizzeria (705 N. 1st Street): There is nothing like handmade pizza being made right before your eyes. Their selection of pizzas always has something that I love and makes me want to come back for more. They also have more than pizza, so feel free to go here even if you aren't a pizza fanatic. Many of their ingredients are imported directly from Italy, so you know it is authentic.
3. Freak Brothers Pizza (901 N. 1st Street): If you want to eat healthy pizza, then you will totally "freak out" since many of their ingredients are 100% organic, including the meat. They consider their pizzas "edible art", and you will love the masterpiece they create just for you! We love that they are so thoughtful and have both vegetarian and vegan pizzas for sale as well.
4. Ziggy's Magic Pizza Shop (401 W. Van Buren Street): Simply stated, their pizza truly is magic, and you have to at least try a slice. They have a full menu and bar. You might be wondering why it is a "magic" pizza shop, right? Well, that is because they have arcade games and all kinds of other cool stuff to do there before, during, or after your meal. We think this is one of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix since you get to eat, drink and play all in one place!
5. Cibo (603 N. 5th Avenue): Set in a 1930's bungalow, with a stained glass window, you will think you are in a different world compared to most pizza joints. Of course, their pizzas are delicious, but they are also a truly authentic Italian restaurant with calzones, pastas, and desserts to die for! Eating at Cibo's is truly a wonderful experience and you'll love the fireplace that helps set just the right mood for a romantic meal.
1. Taco Chelo (501 E. Roosevelt Street): This restaurant gets two mentions on this page since it is without question one of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix. Located on Roosevelt Row, in the middle of all the incredible murals, you will love the authentic food here and the friendly staff. There is an indoor and outdoor area, and TVs inside, if you want to just hang out while you are dining and relax. Their tacos are out of this world good!
2. Chico Malo (CityScape Downtown): This restaurant takes Mexican and South American food to a totally different level. The interior is classy, the food is outstanding and original (if you've never had a Duck Confit Tamale...you are in for a treat!), and the drinks are delicious. Chico Malo, which means, "Bad Boy" in English, will only make you feel good and full!
3. Taco Boy's (620 E. Roosevelt Street): If you are looking for a more laid-back option, then this is your place. They have a great selection of tacos, burritos, and quesadillas. They also have some great combination plates if you want to combine a salad, some appetizers, and a meal. If you, and your family, are really hungry, check out the "Paquete Familiar" This meal gives you 1 pound of meat and 15 tortillas! We personally love their homemade Horchata too.
4. Willie's Taco Joint (333 E. Jefferson Street): This is the perfect place to be if you are waiting to go to a game downtown, this restaurant is gonna be your go to stop. The food is excellent, the service is friendly, and it has an indoor and outdoor area. We like sitting in the outdoor area because we can watch people go by and check out the all the goings on. It is a fun place just to chill and enjoy the day.
5. M'Ole (101 N. 1st Street): After you eat here, you'll be saying, "H'oly M'ole, that was delicious!" and you'll be right. The tortillas are made onsite, you have numerous options to have in your taco or burrito (including vegetarian), and the drinks are yummy. Even as one of the best restaurants in downtown Phoenix, it is still a great deal and way less expensive than a lot of other ones. Make sure to grab a "churro" for dessert. They are delicious, and if you've never had one, you are in for a treat!